Tips for Commuting
Even if you commute only a handful of times, it's better than none at all. To help you get rolling, here are 13 tips for commuting on your bike.
1. Begin with an achievable distance.
2. Start with an achievable frequency.
3. Wear a helmet.
4. Wear clothing that can easily be seen by motorists.
5. Don't make a big deal out of special clothes and gear.
6. Consider cycling shorts.
7. Do a dry run on the weekend.
8. Find routes with minimal traffic.
9. Learn how to change a flat.
10. Carry a cell phone and call for help if you have significant mechanical trouble.
11. Take your clothes to work the day before you commute.
12. Strategize your clean up time before work.
13. Watch for parked car doors swinging open.